Picture with Credit to WikiHow
With Easter Celebrations shortly upon us and no doubt an abundance of Chocolate around the home, it's important to remember this tasty treat is a hidden poison to your Companion.
Chocolate contains Cocoa which has the Toxic component Theobromine, this will make your Dog ill and can sadly too often kill your Dog.
The hazard of Chocolate does vary depending on what type of Chocolate they get their paws on and your Dog's size and therefore ability to deal with the Toxin.
A small amount of Chocolate will probably only cause your Dog an upset Stomach with vomiting and diarrhoea
Larger amounts of Chocolate and therefore Theobromine you can see the Dog experiencing Muscle tremors, seizures and an irregular heartbeat, internal bleeding and heart attack. Prior to these serious signs of poisoning you would usually see sever hyperactivity.
"Different types of Chocolate have different quantities of Theobromine levels, the toxic component, Milk and white Chocolate have the lowest levels, whilst dark chocolate and cooking chlorate have the highest levels
Probably one of the worst products ever made for Dogs in the Dog Chocolate buttons, I remember as a child the Dog had plenty of my Cadbury's buttons and I had plenty of his Beef infused "Chocolate" buttons, I couldn't taste the difference and I don't think he could either.
Thankfully neither of us were ill, my advice would be don't buy these buttons, don't bring them into the home and don't have the possible confusion between Dog friendly buttons and human ones.
If your unsure, always Call or visit the vet, the earlier you do the cheaper the treatment or advice will be
What action you can take ?
Induce vomiting within 2 hours of ingestion
IF YOU ARE WORRIED THAT YOUR DOG MAY HAVE EATEN A LARGE QUANTITY OF CHOCOLATE AND THEY ARE SHOWING SIGNS LISTED ABOVE, CALL YOUR VETINARIAN IMMEDIATELY!
"TO CLARIFY - IF YOU HAVE A SMALL DOG THAT HAS EATEN A WHOLE EGG OR A BOX OF CHOCOLATES, YOU NEED TO CALL AND GO TO YOUR VETINARIAN RIGHT AWAY. DO NOT WAIT"